Saturday, November 13, 2010

Not My Man



A painting about sex. And also, and more importantly, about the incommensurate spaces between people, and how even through the most intimate connection we can hardly plumb the mystery of one other personality.

I think when Dorothy Parker wrote that "hell is other people," she wasn't just being cynical, but only articulating that "the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." We can never really know what they're thinking.



It is amazing to reflect that between Dorothy Parker and H.P.Lovecraft there may have been, on occasion, only a few miles of New York City. That those two writers existed in the same universe is a minor miracle all of its own.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think I live in a gap between two worlds, one world that I have to wake up to, be adherent of the rules and live in a place that is dictated by others. A place I sometimes feel the fear of aging and dying before I have figured out what it is I am here to do.
    That other world is sweet, fresh and misty, inviting adventure into the unknown, melding ancient wisdom with new discovery; the sunlight turning into moonlight and the spell of eternal life is never broken.
    Perhaps in that gap I should repair the forgotten bridge from one side to the other, but truth be told, I don't want to. I don't want to because I don't have the energy to fix what is broken within. I am a wild, wandering nomad, I belong everywhere and nowhere all at the same time, and in that gap between worlds, I am free.
    ― Riitta

    ReplyDelete